Nestled in a bend on the River Severn the town occupies a strategic place at the junction of trade routes and some easy river crossings and in the 10th century a Saxon king ordered the town to be fortified and so the first castle was built. The current castle was originally founded in 1067.
You can imagine with such a heritage this is a city that incorporates old and new, with something to explore at almost every turn. Some highlights of Shrewsbury include
- Explore the early life of Charles Darwin, yes he was born here.
- Shrewsbury Folk Festival (End of August 2022)
- Shrewsbury Castle, including a museum and art gallery
- Shrewsbury Prison, and they have an escape room
- A fine, contemporary theater, and
- Many wonderful old cobbled streets and buildings to explore.
A day spent in Shrewsbury is not one that you will forget if you enjoy history and art.